Gasway Norwich City CouncilGasway Norwich City Council FOR TENANTS AND LEASEHOLDERS

Tenant ApprovedContact us today

01603 258617

  Home   Report a repair   Tenants   Leaseholders   Advice   Contact us
Add to favourites
  Gasway Norwich City Council

  Broom Boats  
Do you smell gas?

Report a repair

How did we do? Have your say today with our customer satisfaction survey

Did you know?

Save 25% on Gasway services


Did you know?
Your FAQs answered

1. What duties do Norwich City Council have as a landlord in relation to gas safety ?

Your landlord has duties under the gas safety (Installation and Use) regulations 1998 to arrange maintenance by a Gas Safe registered engineer for all pipework, appliances and flues, which they own and have provided for your use. Your landlord must also arrange for an annual gas safety check to be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. They must keep a record of the safety check for two years and issue a copy to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed and issue a copy to any new tenants before they move in.

2. What should I do if my heating and hot water has been switched off due to a gas safety check or maintenance?

If a gas appliance has been switched off by a Gas Safe registered engineer it is because it was unsafe and should not be used. No matter how inconvenient the situation is such action helps to ensure your safety. If a heating appliance has been disconnected then your landlord must provide you with emergency heating, for more information on this contact your local authority whilst arranging for appropriate remedial work by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

3. Can my landlord keep the landlord's gas safety record electronically?

Yes. So long as the electronic copy is:

  •  capable of being reproduced in hard copy format when required
     (e.g. for the tenant/HSE/housing department)
  •  secure from loss and interference
  •  uniquely identifies the gas operative who carried out the safety check e.g. an
     electronic signature, a scanned signature, a payroll number unique to the operative,
     the name of the operative etc. The employer needs to have secure systems that
     link the individual operative to the unique identifier.

A landlord, or gas engineer with the landlord's agreement, may send or give a copy of the electronic record directly to you, providing you are happy with this arrangement and have the ability to access it.

4. Do I have to grant access to allow the gas maintenance and safety check to take place?

You should allow access to the property to enable the gas maintenance visits and safety check to be undertaken, as it helps to keep you and your family safe. If you fail to provide access then this is a breach of your tenancy agreement and there are further steps your landlord can take to gain access for the gas maintenance visits and safety check to be undertaken.

5. What should I do if I smell gas or I am concerned about the safety of any gas appliances?

If you suspect there is a gas leak you should immediately do the following:

  •  call National Grid's Gas emergency freephone number: 0800 111 999
  •  open all the doors and windows
  •  shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve (if you know where it is).

It is illegal for anyone to use a gas appliance if they suspect it is unsafe. Turn the appliance off and do not touch it until it has been checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer

How well do you know your gas safety? Please enter your name below and take our quick fun quiz to test your knowledge.

Check your knowledge - gas safe quiz

Enter your name:

1.) Legally, how often should Gasway service a gas appliance on behalf of Norwich City Council?
Once every 2 years
Once every year
Twice a year
Four times a year

2.) Do all Gas engineers need to be gas safe registered?

3.) Who should you phone if you smell gas?
National Grid – 0800 111 999
Gasway - 01603 528 617
Norwich City Council - 0344 980 3333
Any of the above

4.) What should you do if you smell gas?
Use your mobile in your home to call the emergency services
Leave the property and get some fresh air
Light a cigarette to calm yourself down
Ignore it if it doesn't smell that bad

5.) In a leasehold property, whose responsibility is it for arranging a gas safety checked annually?
The tenant
Norwich City Council
The landlord (leaseholder)

Construction Line Approved Contractor  HAS Approved Contractor ISO 9001 registeredISO 14001 registeredOftec registeredNIC registeredGas Safe registered

  Broom Boats  

Quick Links

Report a repair
Customer satisfaction survey
Contact us
Terms & conditions
Privacy policy

Gasway EngineerAlways ask to see
your engineer's badge

All Gasway engineers are Gas Safe registered, wear company clothing and carry identification badges. Insist on seeing it before you let them in your home. If you are unsure or have any doubts, you must phone Gasway to confirm the identity of the engineer.

Gasway Norwich City Council
Gasway Norwich City Council

© 2011 Gasway Ltd

Site designed by Communicate Marketing